Some archaeologists claim that Krabi City is one of the older settlements in the
country as there is archaeological evidence showing that this area had been home
to homo sapiens during the prehistoric times or between 25,000 - 35,000 B. C. The
assumption has been strongly supported by the discovery of stone tools, ancient coloured
pictures, beads, pottery and skeletal remains in the provinces cliffs and caves.In
1200 A.D., the area was known as Ban Thai Samo, one of 12 royal cities that had a
monkey as the town symbol. During this period of time, Krabi was under the rule of
the Kingdom of Ligor, a city better known today as Nakhon Si Thammarat.
During the reign of King Rama V (1868-1910), the community was known as Pakasai Sub-county
and remained under the direct jurisdiction of Nakhon Si Thammarat province. Around
1872, King Rama V elevated Pakasai Sub-county to Krabi Province with the provincial
administration office situated at Krabi-yai Sub-county ( currently, the office is
located near the estuary at Pak Nam Sub-district ) and in 1875, ordered the separation
of Krabi Province from Nakhon Si Thammarat Province.
During the present reign, the corps of civil servants, merchants, and the people
of Krabi and nearby provinces have collectively organized the construction of a royal
residence at Laem Hang Nak Cape which is 30 kilometres west of Krabi Town on the
Andaman coast to be presented to His Majesty the King.
Districts of Krabi:
Krabi is subdivided into eight districts (Amphoe), which are further divided into
53 communes (Tambon) and 374 villages (Muban).