Ang Thong Province Page 4, Ang Thong, places to visit and Ang Thong Brick
Wat Pho Thong Is located in Ban Pho Thong, Tambon Khamyat, opposite the entrance
of Ban Bangchaocha, nine kilometres from Amphoe Mueang on Ang Thong Pho Thong route.
In the royal chronicle, Wat Pho Thong was the place where Krommakhun Phornphinit
( Prince Uthumphorn or Khunluang Hawat ) entered his monkshood. King Rama VI spent
his summer vacation in this temple during his boat trip visiting the Noi River and
Yai River in Krungkao precinct in 1916.
Phra Tamnak Khamyat Is located in Tambon Khamyat, 2.5 kilometres west of Wat Pho
Thong on Ayutthaya Pho Thong Road. At present only four walls of the royal residence
remain. The 10 x 20 meters royal residence, made of brick and plaster, stands eminent
in a paddy field. The artistic beauty remains e.g., motifs around the window, front
and back balcony, was painted in red soil and covered with wooden floor. Regarding
his diary about the trip on the Makhamthao River, King Rama V visited Phra Tamnak
Khamyat in 1908, he understood that Krommakhun Phornphinit (Prince Uthumphorn or
Khunluang Hawat) entered his monkshood at Wat Pho Thong and built this residence
for his lodging during the Buddhist Lent since it was a strategic site. Having seen
that the residence was exquisitely constructed, King Rama V then changed his mind.
He realized that Krommakhun Phornphinit should not have had this residence built
so exquisitely for a temporary lodging or a stronghold. King Rama V surmised that
this residence might have been constructed in the reign of King Borommakot as his
residence during his frequent visits to this area, in parallel to King Prasatthong
who constructed his residence in Bang Pa-In. Due to his preference in this area
and paying homage to the reclining in Wat Khun Inthapramun twice, Krommakhun Phornphinit
(Prince Utumphorn or Khunluang Hawat) made his loyal subjects and monks to leave
Ayutthaya and stayed at Wat Pho Thong Khamyat and Phra Tamnak Khamyat to join with
Bang Rachan villagers. At present, Department of Fine Arts has renovated and registered
Phra Tamnak Khamyat as a historical site.
Wat Chantharangsi Is located in Ban Na, Mu 9, Tambon Huaphai from the Asian Highway
intersection entering Amphoe Mueang about one kilometre. When you see the sign of
the road, take another one kilometre to reach this temple. Areas of this temple
cover both sides of the road. On one side, there is a sacred Buddha image called
Luangpho Yok. On the other side, it locates wihan of Luangpho Sod which housing
the metal image, the largest of its kind in the world, was constructed in 1996. This
golden Buddha image has a lap width of about 6 meters, and a height of 9.9 meters.
Ang Thong Brick Is a high quality household industry for domestic sales. Most people
use this kind of brick to decorate external parts of the buildings and houses. Those
who are interested can buy the bricks directly from the factory. There are more
than 42 factories in Amphoe Pa Mok along Highway No. 3501 Km 1-9 and Highway No.
309 Km 43-47.
Ang Thong Province, places to visit and Ang Thong Brick