Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com

Wat Tha Sutthawat Is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River in Tambon Bang Sadet.  This ancient temple was constructed in the early Ayutthaya period.  During the war, this site was the trooping route for the army crossing the Chao Phraya River.  Take Ayutthaya Ang Thong route (Highway No. 309) Km 38-39, the temple entrance will  be on the left  side about 17 kilometres before reaching downtown Ang Thong province.  At present, this temple is under the royal patronage of Princess  Maha  Chakri Sirindhorn.  The  temple compound is shaded with large trees exhibiting magnificent scene over the bank of the Chao Phraya River.  The royal pavilion stands in the middle of the pond.  Chedi ( pagoda ) exhibits ancient Buddha images and historical relics.  Monuments of King  Naresuan  the Great and King Ekathotsarot are besides the pavilion.  Inside the ubosot, Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn had her personal painters and drawers from the Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Project draw the mural paintings illustrating Phra Maha Chanok, history of Ang Thong province. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously drew a mango on this temple wall as well.


Wat Tonson  Is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River opposite Ang Thong Technical College.  Wat Tonson is an ancient temple housing Somdet Phra Si Mueangthong, a very beautiful seated Buddha image in the posture of subduing Mara with the lap size of  about 14 meters wide and 19 meters high moulded in metal and gilded.  Wat Tonsons abbot, Phra Ratchasuwanmalee, started the construction in 1973.  Her Royal Highness, Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn performed a ceremony to complete the construction on March 7, 1985. This is regarded as the one of the largest metal moulded Buddha images with beautiful posture.


Ang Thong Province Page 5, A selection of Wat’s around the Province Ang Thong Province Page 7,  Wat Khun Inthapramun and Wat Yang

Wat Ratchapaksi ( Nok )  Is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River.  Take Highway No. 309 ( Ang Thong to Ayutthaya ) Km 52-53 from Amphoe Mueang 3 - 4 kilometres to the south.  In this temple, there is a large reclining Buddha similar to the one enshrined in Wat Pa Mok, but of a little smaller size.  The image was assumed to have been constructed during the Ayutthaya period.  The original image was badly ruined and was renovated as shown.  There is another Buddha image built during the reign of King Songtham, about in 1620, which was formerly placed on the bank of the Chao Phraya River.  Prior, the image was fallen into the river, Phra Maha Wichian Khannak and Buddhist devout's moved the image to the current temple in 1947.  Later the construction of wihan had been completed in 1959 after struggling through various obstacles.  The image was then renamed as Phra Rod Wachira Molee and has been remained for everybody to worship and pay homage.