Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com Ang Thong Province page 10, Nai Dok Nai Thongkaeo Monument and other places to visit

Wat Chaiyo Worawihan or Wat Ket Chaiyo  Is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, about 18 kilometres away from Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong, on Ang Thong Sing Buri route. This is the second-class royal monastery. Formerly it was a small ordinary temple constructed in the Ayutthaya period with the unknown building date. Later

in the reign of  King Rama IV, this temple was noted when  Somdet Phra Phutthachan a revered

monk of Wat  Rakhangkhositaram in  Thonburi constructed a large seated Buddha image in the

posture of meditation made of white plaster.  In the reign of King Rama V, His Majesty the  King

went to  worship the image and had Wat Chaiyo renovated in 1887 but the vibration from ramming

piles of the wihan caused the large Buddha image to collapse. The king then commanded to build

a new large Buddha image following the pattern of  the large Buddha image at Wat Kalayanamit.

The new one has the lap width of 16.10 metres and the height ( from radiance to feet ) of 22.65

metres and was graciously named Phra Mahaphutthaphim. There was the biggest celebration for

the image ever held in Ang Thong at that time.  The moulded statue of Somdet Phra Phutthachan

( To Phromrangsi ) constructed in 1894, having the lap width of 5 metres and the heightof 7 metres,

has been enshrined in the wihan facing  the Chao Phraya River.

The large Buddha image housed in this wihan is larger, more elegant, and more remarkable wihan than any other, therefore, Buddhists from various parts of the country have continuously paid homage to this image.  In front of the wihan, the ubosot facing the Chao Phraya River was constructed using the magnificent Thai architectural design. Inside the ubosot, there are mural paintings depicting scenes of the Lord Buddhas chronicles painted by the artisan in the reign of King Rama V, and the moulded statue of Somdet Phra Phutthachan ( To Phromrangsi ) from Thonburi. At present, Wat Chaiyo Worawihan has been renovated to exhibit its distinctive beauty.


Wat Muang  Is located at Mu 6, Tambon Huataphan, about eight kilometres from downtown.  Go along Ang Thong Wiset Chai Chan route (Highway No. 3195) Km 29 for one kilometre, the temple will be on the left side.  There are several important attractions in the temple.  The ubosot of Wat Muang is surrounded by the biggest lotus petals in the world. Ground floor of Wihan Kaeo is a museum (open only on Saturday and Sunday during 9 am.5 pm.) exhibiting sacred objects, antiques, and figures of renowned monks from all over the country.  The upper floor of the museum houses the first and largest silver holy Buddha image of the country, which was constructed in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of His Majesty the Kings throne ascendancy.  Within the temple compound, there are figures of heaven and hell, Thai god paradise, Chinese god paradise, and a huge statue of Kuan Im female goddess.  Besides, there are figures narrating the history of Thai-Burmese battle in Wiset Chai Chan.  At the back of the temple, there is a fish park where you can also buy some local products of Ang Thong province here.

Ang Thong Province Page 8, Wat Pa Mok Worawihan, The Aquarium and The drum making village

Wat Chaiyo Worawihan or Wat Ket Chaiyo, Wat Muang, Ang Thong, Thailand