Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info. Link Sites. Home Page Site Map.
Thailand-Delights.com
site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com

Thonburi is on the west bank of the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok, Thailand.

After the sack of Ayutthaya in 1767, General Phraya Taksin made Thonburi the new capital of Siam for a chief period of time. Unlike Ayutthaya and Rattanakosin, so many battles had to be fought out that Taksin did not have the time and resources to build a new grand capital. It is hard to believe this was once the country's capital, as little archeological structures remain. While Thonburi may not have the major monuments like other former capitals, the district retained an entirely different identity, as it only was officially incorporated in Bangkok in 1971. Therefore, Thonburi stayed less developed than other parts of the city, and several of the traditional small canals still exist here. The cool and peaceful atmosphere, as well as the traditional Thai way of life with floating vendors and orchard farms, make Thonburi a surprisingly fascinating district.

In the Ayutthaya period, this city was named Thonburi Srimahasamut, known by West merchants as Bangkok. At that time, the town centres were on both banks of the Chao Phraya River. However, King Rama I established his new capital Krung Thep ( the Thai name for Bangkok ) on the east side of the river in 1782. Thonburi remained a separate town before being incorporated into the Bangkok metropolitan area in 1972.


During reign of King Chairajathirat of Ayutthaya, a canal about 8-10 meters (26-32 ft) wide was built by his command as a shortcut connecting the Chao Phraya River in the area near Wat Rakhangkositararam, a royal temple near Siriraj Hospital. The strength of the current eroded the canal banks to undermine. As a result, it became a river while some old parts of the Chao Phraya River were narrower and finally they become two canals: the Bangkok-Yai and the Bangkok - Noi which made that area of Bangkok have outs shape as an island. Consequently, there was a hypothesis that the name Bangkok was originated from Bangkok which meant an island community. However, for those who inhabited on both sides of the Chao Phraya River banks were the people of the same town Thonburi.


Archeologically, the town centre of Thonburi had long been an old town community located at the Old Palace ( the Navy Base at present ). It used to be a gateway town being called Tha Khanon, which meat tax collecting port for foreign merchants who sailed in and out of the country. In 1665, there was a Fort, Vichaiprasit, built by the command of King Narai the Great of Ayutthaya at the mount of the Bangkok - Yai canal. It was designed and constructed by French architects and engineers and had 200 - 300 French soldiers graded it. After the death of King Naria, Phra Phetraja, the King who succeeded the throne had all the French soldiers captured and demolished the fort.


Geographically, Thonburi has an area of only 25 square kilometres ( 9.7 sq mi ). The neighbouring province in the North is Nonthaburi, on the West is Nakhon Pathom, the Eastern province is Samut Prakan where some parts reach the Gulf of Siam.

Bangkok Page 52, Hospitals around Bangkok, Samrong, Samut Prakan, Phra Khanong Bangkok, Page 53a, King Taksin, and the Monument at Thon Buri, Bangkok, pictures