Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com

Wat Amarin Thraram, Worawihan, Thonburi, Bangkok, Thailand. Use to be called Wat Bangwa Noi.

Its also known as  Wat  Suwannaram, 33 Charan Sanitwong Soi 32. Its near the Royal Barges

museum, you have to cross over the Alun Aum Ma Lin Bridge to get to it along the Thanon Arun

Amarin road. King  Taksin the Great ordered it to be built in the style of the Royal Temple Wat

Rakhang Khositaram.  Inside the Temple is a stucco, Buddha image which is well known for its

Sacredness. During World War 2 the temple was almost destroyed by bombardment. However

parts remained untouched for example the Phra Wiharn. To see it its not a very interesting temple

but the murals inside are.  These works of art from the early Rattanakosin Period ( which is early 19th century ) are considered some the best survived mural paintings in Bangkok. You can walk round this temple in about 10 minutes though its not that spectacular it is made in the chinese - thai style.


Wat Arun, the Temple of Dawn, is one of Bangkok's best know landmark. It stands on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River in Thon Buri. Wat Arun is best seen from the opposite bank of the river; it glistens in the sunlight during the day and stands dark and noble at dawn or dusk. A visit to the beautiful, peaceful monastery complex surrounding the familiar towers is very worth-while. These towers, the Phra Prang, although best known, the only part of Wat Arun. It also contains narrow lanes; elegant, old white buildings; shrines, pools of turtles and two fine giants, Yuk Wat Jaeng, mortal enemies of the Yuk Wat Po across the river.  The monastery has existed for many years since the days when Ayutthaya was capital of Thailand. It was then named Wat Mokok, situated in a place called Tumbol Bangmakok. The word Bangmakok, meaning  Village of Olive, has since been shortened to  Makok. When King Taksin and his army reached this place to build his new capital Thonburi, after defeating the Burmese who had sacked Ayutthaya, he arrived at dawn. He renamed the monastery he found there Wat Jaeng - Jaeng meaning clear,  bright and  Construction of the tall prang and four smaller ones was started by King Rama II   1809-1824  and completed by King Rama III (1824-1851). The towers are supported by rows of demos and monkeys. Very steep and narrow steps lead to a balcony high on the central tower. The circumference of the base of the structure is 234 meters, and the central prang is 250 foot high.

The central balcony commands an impressive view of Bangkok across the river. From here one can see the Grand Palace, the Temple of the  Emerald Buddha and the spacious Wat Po.The towers of Wat Arun are built of brick covered with stucco. The decorations are unique;  thousands of pieces of multi  coloured Chinese porcelain.  In niches in the

central tower are green figures of the God Indra seated on Erawan, the traditional Thai three - headed

elephant. Niches in the  smaller towers  contain figures of the Moon God, on a white horse. The trident

of Shiva extends from the  top of each tower.   Wat  Arun figures in one of  Thailand's most colourful

festival’s , the Royal Tod Kathin. Then His Majesty the King travelsdown the river in a procession of

Royal barges to present new robes to the monks after their three month lent period

Bangkok Page 56, Temples to visit in Thonburi Bangkok Page 58, Wat Arun, Ordination Hall,Phra Wihan Khot , Gallery of Cloisters, Video of Wat Arun
Bangkok Page 57, Wat Suwannaram and Wat Arun, the Temple of Dawn