Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com

King Taksin the Great Monument, Prachathipok Road. This is an equestrian

statue situated at the Wong wian Yai Circle near the railway station of the

same name. The king is portrayed with his right  hand holding a sword,

measuring about nine metres in height from his horse's feet to the spire

of his hat. The statue rests on a reinforced concrete pedestal of 8.90 x 1.80

x 3.90 metres. There are four frames of stucco relief on the two sides of the

pedestal. The opening ceremony of this monument was held on 17 April,

1954 and a homage-paying fair takes place annually on 28 December.


Princess Mother Memorial Park  Soi 3 Somdet Chao Phraya Road, Khlong

San District,  0 2437 7799    0 2437 7799     0 2439 0902  0 2439 0902     

Garden: daily 6 AM-6 PM  ( except holidays ).  Museum: daily 9 AM-4 PM.

This beautiful park is built near the Wat  Anongkharam community where

Somdej Phra Srinagarindra Boromarajajonani, HRH the Princess Mother

( mother of King Rama IX ) had resided during her childhood. The park comprises a full scale model of the Princess Mother's house and the old buildings renovated as exhibition halls displaying the life story of Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother as well as the history of the Wat Anongkharam community.  


Pom Wichai Prasit Fort. This fort at the mouth of the Bangkok Yai canal is not open to the public, as it is a part of the Royal Thai Navy's headquarters, but it can best be seen during a Chao Phraya Express Boat ride. It was used to protect Bangkok against other invading countries, but did not prevent the European powers from blockading Bangkok in the 19th century.  


Santa Cruz Cathedral, 112 Tesaban 1 Road. Also known as Wat Kudichin, overlooking the Chao Phraya River near Memorial Bridge and Wat Kalayanamit. This is the first Catholic Church of Thonburi. The church building has a magnificent Italian-style architecture built in 1816. The word Santa Cruz in Portuguese is taken from Latin words Sanctus Crux, which means the Holy Cross. The reason this cathedral takes both the Portuguese and the Chinese names was due to the war with the Burmese in 1767, when King Taksin commanded to gather the people who had escaped from the war to settle down in the capital. The King dictated that the Chinese group who migrated from Ayutthaya settle down around the area of Wat Kalayanamit, while the Portuguese people would have their houses built along the bank of the Chao Phraya River. The Portuguese who settled here were called Farang Kudichin which means - Westerners at the Chinese shrine. This area is an old community, also being the birth place of a somewhat famous cupcake, the Khanom Farang Kudichin.  


Snake Farm. daily 8.30 AM - 5 PM. This show, 35 minutes from Wat Sai Floating Market, is another stop for sightseeing and watching a snake show.

Bangkok, Page 61d, Pictures of Thonburi Railway Station. Bangkok Noi District The train to for Kanchanaburi, and the River Kwai Bridge. Bangkok Page 63, Canal tour along the canals of Thonburi