Shrimp Sour Curry is a traditional food of Central & Southern Thailand. Think of
it as curried soup. Although the ingredients are the same for the two regions, the
south of Thailand variation tastes more spicy because they add more dry chilli during
cooking. The Central Thailand version is closer to sweet and sour soup and is the
one given here. This is medium hot.
Ingredient For 2 People
50 grams Sour Curry Paste.
800 ml. Water.
50 grams Tamarind
50 grams Pak Kra Chate (Or Green Vegetable)
50 Long Beans (Or green beans)
4 Oyster Mushrooms
4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce.
2 Tablespoons Sugar.
1. Clean the shrimp, ensure you cut the shell and remove the entrails which can spoil
the appearance of the dish.
2. Clean the oyster mushrooms, pak kra chate, and long beans and chop into 3 cm pieces,
3. Mix the tamarind with water, squeeze until the water goes brown and taste sour.
For this curry we need the sour tamarind water but not the tamarind, sieve the mixture
to remove the tamarind and place the sour water into a pan.
4. Add the sour curry paste to the pan and stir over the heat until the water boils.
5. When water start boiling, add the fish sauce and sugar in and taste it. You are
aiming for sweet, sour, salty, spicy taste, you can adjust the sugar, salt and curry
paste to achieve this.
6. Add the vegetables and shrimp and cook over the heat for 2 minutes.