Mukdahan is the 73 rd province of Thailand. Its history dates from the late Ayutthaya
period, over 200 years ago. At first, on the left side of the Mekong River, there
was a large community called Ban Luang Phon Sin located by Phrathat Ing Hang, presently
in Savannakhet Province of Lao PDR. The community was ruled by Chao Chan Suriyawong.
His son was Chao Kinnari. He later built a new town at the mouth of Huai Muk on the
right bank of the Mekong River in 1767. The town was completed in 1770 and named
Mukdahan ( moonstone or pearl ) according to a propitious sign occurring to him while
the town was under construction. That is why the locals call the town "Mueang Muk".
During the reign of King Taksin the Great, Chao Kinnari was promoted as Phraya Chanthon
Si Surat Upparacha Manthaturat to be the first ruler of Mukdahan in 1778.
At first, Mukdahan was part of Monthon Udon or Udon Circle. In 1907, the Circle was
dissolved to become a province and Mukdahan was then a Amphoe of Nakhon Phanom province.
It was promoted as Mukdahan province in 1982 as the country’s 73 rd province and
the 17th province of Isaan.
Actually, Mukdahan is a significant gateway to Indochinese countries. The local people
of Mukdahan actually have had a long relationship with the people in Savannakhet
province of Laos. Although they are apart by the 70 km long Mekong River. Mukdahan
is home to eight ethnic minorities; namely, Thai Isan, Phu Thai, Thai Kha, Kraso,
Thai Kaloeng, Thai Yo, Thai Saek, and Thai Kula. It has abundant natural beauty.
Mukdahan covers a total area of 4,339.830 sq km.
Lord Chandrasuriyawongse and his followers founded a settlement at Baan Luang Phonsim
near the Thad Ing Hang Stupa along the left banks of the Mekong River in Laos. Later,
after some several decades, he died.
Lord Chanthakinnaree his son, succeeded him as ruler. Then, in B.E.2310, a huntsman
crossed over the Mekong and arrived along the right side at the mouth of the stream
Bang Muk where he discovered a discarded realm complete with a monastery and seven
sugar palms located on the nearby riverbank.
He found the area much better than the territories along the left side of the Mekong,
and moreover at the site of mouth of the Bang Muk was a huge abundance of fish. Thus,
he headed back to report this to his ruler Lord Chanthakinnaree. Lord Chanthakinnaree
led his followers across the Mekong to inspect the area and found that the area was
indeed the remains of an ancient realm and in much better condition than any area
along the left side of the Mekong. He thus led his people from Baan Luang Phonsim
to establish a settlement along the right side of the Mekong at the mouth of the