Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com

The Thai government ignored the deviation and regarded the temple as belonging to Sisaket province. In the 1950's, newly independent Cambodia protested the Thai occupation. In 1962 the Thai government agreed to submit the dispute to the International Court of Justice. To their dismay, the court voted 9 to 4 to confirm the 1907 boundary and awarded the temple to Cambodia. Access is principally from the Thai side, as the site is difficult to reach from the Cambodian plains far below. The Cambodian government has expressed interest in building a cable car to carry tourists to the site, though this has yet to happen, pending resolution of the Cambodian – Thai border dispute.


The many Khmer ruins found in the province show it must have been important to the Khmer empire at least by the 12th century, although probably sparsely populated. According to local tradition, it was known Sri Nakorn Lamduan. It was later called Khukhan, after a town built in the late 15th century A.D. during the reign of the King Boromaratcha III of Ayutthaya. Ethnic Laos settled the northern portion of the province, and in 1786 the town Sisaket was formed, subject to Khukhan.


In 1904, Sisaket was renamed Khukhan, while the original town was designated Huai Nua. Monthon Udon Thani was created in 1912, assuming the administration of the most of area. In 1933 the monthon system was ended, and the province of Khukhan was directly administrated from Bangkok. The name of the town and province were restored to Sisaket in 1938, with the district containing Huai Nua being called Khukhan. The Rasi Salai Dam built here in 1994 was unofficially decommissioned in July 2000 following devastation of local farming villages.


In the 2000 Census it was reported that 26.2% of the population is capable of speaking Khmer. This is down from ten years ago when in the 1990 Census it was reported that 30.2% of the population was capable of speaking the Khmer language. The majority is of the Laotian speaking people.


Sisaket as evidenced by the Khmer - style archaeological remains, dates at far back as the ancient Khmer empire. According to Thai history, in 1717 Thai locals called themselves Suai, Kuai or Kuimigrated to the right bank of the Mekong and settled down their communities in six separate places. Of the six groups, two led by chiangkhan and Takaja settled in Ban Khok Lamduan. Later in the reign of Somdet Phra Borommaraja III of Ayudhya, Ban Khok Lamduan was politically upgraded as Muang Khukhan ruled by phra Krai Phakdi Sri Nakhon Lamduan ( Takaja ). After the death of the first ruler in 1778, King Taksin the Great of Thonburi named luang Prub ( Chaingkhan ) , the second leader of Muang KhuKhan. Thanks to the lack of water, Muang Khukhan was relocated in Ban trae, Tumbon Huai Nua ( in the present Amphur Khukhan ).

  


Sisaket Province, History of the region and facts about the Province

Si Saket Province, Page 1, Map location, Districts, and Seal of the Province Sisaket Province, Page 3,History of the region and facts about the Province, Sites to see around the Province.