Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info. Link Sites. Forum Log In.
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com Nan Province, Page 5, Banks, Shops, Shopping area’s & Department stores, Map of the Province. Nan Province, Page 7, Places to see & Visit. King of Nan’s Teak House. The Thai Lu Village - Ban Nong Bua

The Nan National Museum is in the original palace of the last two Feudal Lords of Nan. The building was originally constructed, in 1903 by Phra Chao Suriyapnong Phalidet, the last but one Lord of Nan to replace his former wooden residence. After the death of the Chao Maha Brahma Surathada, the last Lord of Nan, his heirs donated this palace to the government in 1931 to be used as the provincial hall. The museum


( Th Pha Kong; admission 30 Baht; 9 AM - 4 PM Mon - Sat ) was inaugurated in 1973 after the new provincial hall building had been erected. Thanks to relatively recent renovations, it is one of Thailand's most up to date provincial museums, contrary to many of them, it also has English labels for many items on display.


The ground level is divided into six exhibition rooms with ethnological exhibits dealing with the various ethnic groups round in the province, including the northern Thais, Thai Lü, Htin, Khamu, Mabri, Hmong and Mien. Silver work, textiles, folk utensils and tribal costumes can be found on display . Exhibits on Nan history, archaeology, local architecture, royal regalia, weapons, ceramics and religious art are shown on the second floor, divided into two sections. The first is the main hall which used to be the throne hall of the Feudal Lord. The second consists of the rooms in the north and south wings. The museum exhibits a wide collection of Buddha images which include some rare Lanna styles as well as the floppy-eared local styles. Usually made from wood, these standing images are in the calling for rain posture ( with hands at the sides, pointing down ) and they show an obvious Luang Prabang influence. Also on display on the 2nd floor is a rare black ( in fact reddish-brown ) elephant tusk said to have been offered to a Nan king over 300 years ago by the Khun lord of Chiang Tung ( Kengtung ). Held aloft by a wooden Garuda ( mythical bird ) sculpture, the tusk measures 97 cm long and 47 cm in circumference.

Books on Thai art and archaeology are sold in a building adjacent to the museum.


Wat Phra That Chae Hang ( on the right ) It features a 55 metre - high golden Chedi containing a Holy Relic

from Sukhothai. Over the Wihan's door frames and on parts of the roofs are plaster designs in the shape

of Naga, the great serpent, which represent the artistic best in local architecture.


Wat Phaya Wat  An ancient religious site, it has rectangular Chedi bases on which Buddha states

are placed around the Chedi structure. Combined artistic influences of Lanna, Lan Chang and native Nan

can be detected.


Wat Chang Kham Woravihan is opposite the Nan National Museum, Its main features are the sculpted upper halves of elephants adorning around the Chedi, a Sukhothai influence.

Nan Province, Places to see & visit, Nan National Museum, Wat Phra That Chae Hang

Nan Province, Page 6,  Places to see & visit, Nan National Museum, Wat Phra That Chae Hang