Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com Kamphaeng Phet Province, Page 1, Geography, Districts, Seal of Kamphaeng Phet & Map Kamphaeng Phet Province, Page 3, Places to see, National Museum, Wat Phra Kaeo, Wat Phra Borom That.

Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park is an archeological site in Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand. Along with Sukhothai Historical Park and Si Satchanalai historical park, it is a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Historic

Town  of  Sukhothai and  Associated Historic Towns. Major features in the  Kamphaeng

Phet Historical Park includes  archaeological  remains of ancient sites  such as Mueang

Chakangrao to the east of the Ping River, Mueang Nakhon Chum to the west and Mueang

Trai Trueng some 18 km from the town to the southwest. Designated as World Heritage

Site Number 574 on 12 December 1991 by UNESCO, the ancient city of Sukhothai, along

with its former vassal towns of Si Satchanalai and Kamphaeng Phet, is considered the cradle of Thai civilization.


Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park is located in Kamphaeng Phet Province, about 358 km north of Bangkok. It is presumed to have been established during the reign of King Li Thai ( 1347 - 1371 ) of the Sukhothai Dynasty

and it was formerly called Muang Cha Kang Rao and Na Khon Chum. It was an important city of

the Sukhothai Kingdom from the 13th to 15th centuries.  Because it was situated in a strategically

important position, Kamphaeng Phet had a lot of strong fortresses, city gates, camps, city walls,

and watchtowers built in laterite. Kamphaeng Phet in ancient times was suitably located with

an easy access to other settlements in the plains, and thus was a centre for buying and

selling goods. Archeological evidence indicates that Kamphaeng Phet has been inhabited since

prehistoric times.  


At Khao Kalon in Khanuworalaksaburi County, polished stone tools, pottery vessels and human remains have been found. Another site, Ban Khlong Muang in Kosamphi Sub-county, has yielded metal slag, spindle whorls and polished stone axes with shoulders. The excavations in Traitrueng on the west bank of the Ping River revealed Dvaravati artefacts, including glass beads, fragments of clay lamps and unglazed ceramics. The clay lamps are similar to those found in other sites of central Thailand. These cultural materials significantly imply the presence of prehistoric and early historic

communities.The ancient town of Kamphaeng Phet is situated on the east bank of the Ping River

in today's Kamphaeng Phet Province. This ancient town was laid out in a trapezoidal plan parallel

to the river and enclosed by a town wall 2,200 metres long on the north, 2,000 metres on the south,

500 metres on the east, and 250 metres on the west. About 475 metres of the southern wall has

partially collapsed. The town wall of Kamphaeng Phet, covering an area of 503 rai ( 201.2 acres ),

was originally composed of earthen ramparts and a moat. A laterite wall was later built and

fortified with battlements and parapets with gates and watchtowers on all four sides. In the heart

of this ancient town are located two important Buddhist temples, Wat Phra Kaeo and Wat Phra

That. Other significant buildings are the Ancient Palace ( Sa Mon ) and Siva Shrine.

Kamphaeng Phet Province, Page 2, Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park