Phra Samut Chedi, a sacred Stupa of Samut Prakan built by King Rama II
( 1809-1824 ), is over 180 years old. Originally, the Stupa was on a mid river islet
of the Chao Phraya River.
Time went by and the islet became part of the mainland. Since it is situated at the
mouth of the Chao Phraya River, the white Stupa wrapped around with a red cloth,
was once a landmark signalling to navigators that they were approaching the capital
of Thailand. At present, it is used as the province's emblem.
Standing at the base of the Stupa, which is 36 metres tall after its restoration
in the reign of King Rama IV ( 1851-1868 ). Around the base, on four corners, there
are situated four little Chinese style pavilions.
A European style hall is located nearby. It was constructed in the reign of King
Rama V ( 868-1910 ) to be used in religious ceremonies. Enshrined in the hall is
a statue of King Rama II.
The reason why different styles of architecture appear in the same compound. Is that
each construction was built in a different reign and was thus influenced by a different