Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com Bangkok, Page 86c, Pictures of the City Pillar Shrine, ( also known as San Lak Muang ) Lak Muang Rd ( Tha Chang Pier ). Bangkok,Thailand. Bangkok, Page 88, Khlong Toei District.Nana Plaza, to Soi 12.

Bangkok, Khlong Toei District

Khlong Toei  also spelt Klong Toey District, is next to the Chao Phraya River and contains major port facilities. It is also the location of a major market, though not one of importance used mainly by Thai. An estimated 20% of Bangkok residents live in illegal squatter settlements across the capital. With over 100,000 inhabitants around  Klong Toey it is considered to be Thailand’s largest slum community. Klong Toei slum area has the most drug prone related problems  especially in areas called, Lock 1-3 and Lock 4-5 over a 70-rai area and occupied by some 7,000 to 8,000 people.

The district is sub divided into 3 sub districts

1.  Khlong Toei  from the railway line known as Soi Zero to Sukhumvit Soi 22   

2.   Khlong Tan from Sukhumvit Soi 22 to Soi 36

3.   Phra Khanong  from Sukhumvit Soi 36 to 52

The district used to be  part of  Phra Khanong. It was later separated into a new district on 9th November 1989. Originally Khlong Toei consisted of 6 sub districts. Three of which have since left to form the new Watthana district. The area has a history dating back to the 9th century as a port to cities upstream along the Chao Phraya River.

It was a city called Pak Nam Phra Pradaeng , as opposed to the current Amphoe Phra Pradaeng. Khlong Thanon Trong was a khlong (canal) and a parallel road built by King Mongkut around 1857. Later, it became known as Khlong Toei and Khlong Hua Lamphong for different sections of the canal. Khlong Toei means the canal of pandan, as the plant grew along the southern bank of the canal. The road was renamed to Rama IV Road by King Vajiravudh in 1919.

The Khlong Toei Port, also known as Bangkok Port, was Thailand's only major port for sea transportation of cargo. The construction began in 1938 and finished after the end of World War II. The port is located on the Chao Phraya River, not far from the Gulf of Thailand. Due to its limited capacity and traffic problem caused by semi trailer trucks, much of its shipping operation has been moved to Laem Chabang Port in Chon Buri Province since it's opening in July 1981.