Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com Bangkok, Page 119, Phra Nakhon District, the Grand Palace, known in Thailand as Phra Borom Maha Ratcha Wan. Bangkok, Page 121, Phra Nakhon District, the Grand Palace, known in Thailand as Phra Borom Maha Ratcha Wan.

Phra Nakhon District, the Grand Palace, known in Thailand as Phra Borom Maha Ratcha Wan.


ADMISSION FEES:

Ticket costs 400 Baht each ( for Foreign Visitors ~ free for Thai  residents ) and consists of three main parts :

1) The yellow part is for the Grand Palace and is valid only on the day of purchase. ( A guide book will be given to each visitor at the entrance to the temple.)

2) The blue part is for the Vimanmek Mansion Museum ( The world's largest golden teakwood mansion ) This part of the ticket is valid for seven days from the day of  purchase. The Vimanmek Mansion Museum is located at Suan Phuttan Garden on Ratchawithi Road in the Dusit District of Bangkok, and may be reached by bus number 70, departing from outside the Grand Palace, or by taxi.

(Note : Entry to Vimanmek Museum will not be permitted without the blue part of the ticket, which may also be purchased separately, on a daily basis, at the museum for 100 Baht.)

3) The white ticket is for The Royal Thai Decoration and Coin Pavilion, which is on the right hand side before the entrance to the temple.

Construction began in 1782, at first the palace consisted of several wooden buildings surrounded on four sides with a high defensive wall of 1,900 metres in length, which encloses an area of 218,400 square metres. Soon the King ordered the building of the Temple of the Emerald Buddha; as the Monarch’s personal place of worship and royal temple. Once the palace was complete the King decided to undergo a coronation ceremony to celebrate in 1785.

The layout of the Grand Palace follows closely to that of the old palace in Ayutthaya. The Palace is rectangular shaped, with the western side next to a river and the royal temple situated to the east side, with all structures facing north.