Home Page. About us etc. A to E items. F to K items. L to P items. Q to Z items. Useful info.. Link Sites.
Thailand-Delights.com
Home Page Site Map. site map for www.Thailand-Delights.com Bangkok, Page 131, Parks around Phra Nakhon District, Bangkok, Thailand. Bangkok, Page 132a, Videos of Saranrom Park, Phra Nakhon District, Bangkok, Thailand.

Saranrom Palace and Park, Phra Nakhon District, Bangkok, Thailand.


It was used as the first office for Foreign Affairs until 1885, the residence of the Senabodi had been used as Office of Krom Tha. On obtaining his new post, Krommuen Devawongse Varopakarn submitted a request to the King for an office of his own, separate from his residence. The request was granted and royal permission given to use Saranrom Palace as the first separate Office for Foreign Affairs. Another significant change was also made, the appointment and general supervision of Thai diplomatic missions abroad, hitherto entrusted to the Prince in his capacity as Secretary General to the King, were transferred with him to the Krom Tha Office.

Seven years later, in the complete government reform of 1892 resulting in the creation of twelve ministries, based on western standards, the Krom Tha Office became a fully fledged Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Its judiciary functions and its administrative control of the seaboard provinces were respectively transferred to the Ministries of Justice and Interior.

The definition of Saranrom Park is the old royal garden. Built in 1866 by King Rama IV, it was a part of Saranrom Palace located to the outside wall  east of the Grand Palace. The King intended to stay at this palace after his son became king. However, he passed away before its completion. The construction was completed in the reign of King Rama V. The palace was used as a residence for many of the king's brothers while they were waiting for the completion of their own palace construction.

Later, it was used to receive royal foreign visitors, such as Prince Oscar, the son of the Swedish King in 1884  who wrote about the beauty of its royal garden. King Rama V assigned Henry Alabaster, a botanical expert, to manage this royal garden. the garden was so beautiful that the royal Family often visited. It was decorated with a fountain, ornamental plants, orchids, trees and red roses, the King's favourite flower. There are also  aviaries and a crocodile pond. In 1934, the crown Prince ( King Rama VI ) used this royal garden for the royal guard training program and for the centre of tradition and culture as well as innovation in the name of Tawi PanyaSamoson ( Intellectual Club ).

The park comes to life in the early mornings. People living in the area of Rattanakosin Island  use the park for exercise. In the morning and evening, many forms of exercise can be seen such as Taikek, Sword Dance, Club Dance and Ballroom Dancing. Outdoor activities are also promoted during the day for children such as the Natural Classroom for Art and Ecology. This reflects the role and value of this park especially in the heart of the city towards its community. With its long history of over a century,  this park reflects characteristics of the Rattanakosin period. This can be seen from materials used for decoration in this park and it also  reflects the  King's love and sadness for his Queen consort.