Royal Thai Armed Forces Page 3, The Royal Thai Navy and The Royal Thai Air Force
The Royal Thai Navy is the navy of Thailand and part of the Royal Thai Armed Forces,
it was established in the late 1800s. Admiral Prince Abhakara Kiartiwongse (1880-1923)
is - The Father of Royal Thai Navy . Similar to the organizational structure of the
United States, the Royal Thai Navy includes the Naval Fleet, and the Royal Thai Marine
Corps. The Royal Thai Navy operates out of Sattahip Naval Base.
The Royal Thai Navy operates in three Naval Area Commands: Eastern Gulf of Thailand
(First NAC), Western Gulf of Thailand (Second NAC), and the Andaman Sea (Indian Ocean)
(Third NAC). The Royal Thai Navy also has two air wings, located at Utapao (RTN First
( used during the closure of Suvarnabhumi airport caused by the civil unrest in
2008 ) and Songkhla (RTN Second Air Wing).
The United States Navy and Royal Thai Navy conduct the annual joint operation Cooperation
Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT). CARAT is an annual series of bilateral maritime
training exercises between the U.S. Navy and the armed forces of Singapore, Thailand,
Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei and Philippines.
The Royal Thai Navy is commanded by the Commander of the Royal Thai Navy currently
Admiral Khamthorn Pumhiran, who was appointed in 2008. The Royal Thai Navy Headquarters
is located in Derm Palace, Wang Derm Road, Bangkok, Thailand.
Royal Thai Marine Corps
Royal Thai Navy SEALS
The Royal Thai Air Force is commanded by the Commander of the Royal Thai Air Force
currently Air Chief Marshal Itthaporn Subhawong, who was appointed in 2008. The Royal
Thai Air Force Headquarters is located in Don Muang Airbase, Bangkok, Thailand.
In February 1911 the Belgian pilot Charles Van Den Born displayed the first aircraft
in Thailand at the Sa Pathum Horse Racing Course. The Thai authorities were impressed
enough by the display that on 28th. February 1913 they dispatched three officers
to learn to fly in France, a leading aviation country.
The three officers (Major Luang Sakdi Sanlayawut (Sunee Suwanprateep), Captain Luang
Arwut Sikikorn (Long Sinsuk) and First Lieutenant Tip Ketuthat) learned to fly and
on the 2nd. November 1913 returned to Thailand with eight aircraft (four Breguets
and four Nieuports). They are today regarded as the forefathers of the Royal Thai
Air Force. In March of 1914 they moved from Sa Pathum airfield to Don Muang.
The Ministry of Defence put the early air force under the control of the Army Engineer
Inspector General Department. Prince Purachatra, Commander of the Army Engineers,
and his brother Prince Chakrabongse Bhuvanath were instrumental in the development
of the army's Royal Aeronautical Service, a forerunner to the Air Force.