* The 3rd Air Division composes of three wings, the 4th Wing, the 41st Wing,
and the 46th Wing. Another wing, the 42nd Wing, is reported to exist.
* The 4th Wing is a light attack / fighter wing based at RTAFB Takhli in
Nakhon Sawan Province.
* The 41st Wing is a light attack wing based at RTAFB Chiang Mai in Chiang
* The 46st Wing is a transport / rainmaking wing based at RTAFB Phitsanulok
in Phitsanulok Province.
* 4th Air Division
* The 4th Air Division composes of three wings, the
7th Wing, the 53rd Wing, and the 56th Wing.
* The 7th Wing is an interceptor and attack wing based at RTAFB Surat Thani
in Surat Thani Province.
* The 5th Wing is a transport / observation wing based at RTAFB Prachuap
Khiri Khan in Prachuap Khiri Khan Province.
* The 56th Wing is a currently forming wing based at RTAFB Hatyai in Songkhla
Royal Thai Armed Forces Page 5, Royal Thai Air Force Commando Company,
Royal Thai Navy SEALS, Royal Thai Marine Corps
Royal Thai Air Force Commando Company
This 100 man unit, part of the Royal Thai Air Force's Special Combat Operations Squadron,
has been in existence since the late 1970’s. They are based near Don Muang Airport
and provide anti-hijacking capabilities. They have three assault platoons, each divided
into two smaller sections.
The Royal Thai Marine Corps are the marines of the Royal Thai Navy, the corps was
founded in 1932 when the first battalion was formed with the assistance of the US
Marine Corps. It expanded to a regiment in 1940 and was in action against communist
guerrillas throughout the 1950s and 1960’s. During the 1960’s the US Marine Corps
again helped with expansion to a brigade. The Royal Thai Marine Corps saw further
action on the Malaysian border in the 1970’s, where it then expanded two brigades.
The Royal Thai Navy SEALs is a 144-man Sea, Air and Land (SEAL) unit of the Military
of Thailand. The unit was set up in 1956 with the assistance of the U.S. Government
and has trained with United States Navy SEALs. A small element within the Royal Thai
Navy's SEAL Teams has been trained to conduct Maritime Counter-Terrorism missions.
This unit has close ties with the U.S. Navy's own SEAL teams Recruits go through
training lasting 7 months, this includes a hell week where individual and team stamina
and fitness are vigorously tested, only 30% of initial recruits are able to pass
the final training.