The seal of the province shows a white elephant in a glass pavilion. The white elephant
is a royal symbol in Thailand, and it is depicted to remember the offering of a white
elephant by King Rama II to the ruler of Chiang Mai. The pavilion symbolizes that
Buddhism prospered in Chiang Mai, especially when in 1477 the teachings of Buddha,
the Tripitaka, were reviewed.
The provincial flower and tree is the Flame of the Forest (Butea monosperma). The
provincial slogan is In the shadow of Doi Suthep mount, blessed with rice customs
and traditions, beautiful wild flowers, magnificent Nakhon Phing.
Chiang Mai Railway Station
Below - Large indoor market in Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai surrounding Moat and wall section
Above - Wat Chiang Man
Located on Ratchapkkhinai Road, this is Chiang Mai's oldest temple and probably dates
from 1296. The temple was the residence of King Mengrai, who founded Chiang Mai,
and is noteworthy for a Chedi supported by rows of elephantine buttresses and small
ancient Buddha image, Phra Kaeo Khao.