Phra Ram Ratchaniwet - This palace of European architectural style is originally
called Wang Ban Puen. It is situated in the south of the town. King Rama V commanded
it built as a rainy season palace in 1916. It was used to welcome and accommodate
state visitors during the reign of King Rama VI. The palace is open every day from
8 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, call 0 3242 8506-10 ext. 259.
Hat Chao Samran - This historic beach is 15 kilometres southeast of the town. There
is a road linking Hat Chao Samran, Puek Tian and Cha-am. Legend says that King Naresuan
the Great and King Eka Thotsarot made several royal visits here and highly appreciated
its beauty. The villagers thus rendered it a name Hat Chao Samran, which means Beach
of Royal Leisure. King Rama IV ordered a seaside palace built at this beach in 1918
and called it Hat Chao Samran Palace. Accommodation is available.
Places of Interest around Tha Yang
Hat Puek Tian - seven kilometres south of Hat Chao Samran, this wide and long beach
is popular among Thai tourists. The most prominent landmark is a huge statue of a
female giant standing in the sea.
Places of Interest around Ban Laem
Wat Khao Takhrao - Travel 12 km from Phetchaburi to Amphoe Ban Laem and continue
for another six km. This temple houses a highly revered sitting Buddha image called
Luang Pho Khao Takhrao. The image was found at the mouth of the Mae Klong River
in Samut Songkhram by the villagers of Ban Laem, who migrated from Ban Laem to Samut
Songkhram during the fall of Ayutthaya.
Hat Laem Luang - Located four kilometres north of Hat Chao Samran, this beach stretch's
for two kilometres and is full of white sand.
Places of Interest around Kaeng Krachan
Kaeng Krachan Dam - This dam is located 53 km southwest of the town along the Phetchaburi-Tha
Yang-Kaeng Krachan route. The construction was completed in 1966. It is 760 metres
long and 58 metres high, overlooking beautiful scenery of the reservoir and its islands.